R&D Team Lead
MineSense Technologies Ltd is revolutionizing the Mining industry. We combine advanced sensing technologies, machine learning, and data analytics to deliver critical information to mines that has never before been available. This provides mine operators with the ability to better differentiate ore from waste at the mine face, which enables ore sorting at the earliest point in the extraction process leading to major economic and environmental follow-on benefits across the mining value chain. Our technology dramatically boosts mine profitability and significantly benefits sustainability, thanks to more accurate processing decisions that directly reduce the environmental footprint of mine operations.
Our novel solution is a critical element in creating the “Digital Mine”, and MineSense is quickly becoming a leader in helping mines develop their “digital edge” by deploying sensors directly on extraction machinery. We wish to expand our data collection capabilities by developing and integrating new types so sensors to better meet customer demand, with a focus on sensing ore composition.
We are looking for an R& D Team Lead to join our team in Vancouver, BC to oversee the development of new sensors. You will work closely with client facing teams to understand customer needs, select and develop suitable sensors as required, and then work with the Product Development team to ensure the new sensors integrate seamlessly within the core product offering. In addition, you will also work with the GeoScience/Data Science teams on how to extract maximum value from these new sensors. If you enjoy hands-on work with rock composition sensors (for mining) and collaborating with multidisciplinary groups to deal with some of the toughest mining challenges, we want to hear from you!
THE ROLE will include (but not be limited) to the following:
- Identify and evaluate new sensor technologies suitable for assessing ore quality at different mining operations e.g. Infrared Spectroscopy, LIBS
- Using a range of ores already supplied by different mining companies, develop appropriate testing programs to meet customer use case targets identified by the Business Development team
- Lead the new technology development strategy and associated product roadmaps through collaboration with a cross section of subject matter experts from across the company
- Identify opportunities and risks for incorporating these solutions into the company’s existing services and products. These include MineSense Technologies ShovelSense®, ScoopSense® and BeltSense® product lines
- Liaise with component vendors to build out the new solutions
- Work with the Product Development and GeoScience /Data Science teams to integrate the new sensors into the existing product lines
- Assess competitor technologies and make recommendations on additional technical solutions and options
- Represent the company at various technical conferences/events
- Interact with our technological partners including university research clusters, government funding organizations, research partners
Skills & Experience:
- Masters or PhD in Sciences or Engineering (Geology, Physics, Chemistry)
- Experience working with sensing systems used in mineral characterization
- Minimum of 3-5 year experience in Product Development roles with demonstrated capabilities working in R&D organizations with preference given to geology or mining related activities
- Strong critical thinking skills and developing “outside the box” solutions
- Experience with data analysis tools such as python or other statistical packages
- Experience presenting technical papers at geological or mining related conferences
- Excellent time management and organization skills
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Must be willing to travel to a customer’s work site globally and follow their site operation and safety procedures. This could involve customer meetings and/or commercialization of new sensor solutions. Travel time is estimated to be less than 10%.
Why is this a good Opportunity for You?
You will be part of a growing company entering a dynamic commercialization phase with a vision of changing the mining industry. You will play a key role in building sensing and sorting products that have demonstrated unprecedented sensitivity and capacity. You are looking to invigorate your career by working with a multi-disciplinary team to develop, build, test, deploy and support sensor-based mineral telemetry and ore processing systems. Finally, you are someone who aspires to be a manager but can today act as a team leader who can also contribute and operate on his/her own initiative, working collaboratively with others within a team of professionals from various disciplines.
For more information on our company, please visit our website at www.minesense.com
Please forward a copy of your resume and a cover letter to our Human Resources Department at email@example.com with the subject title of the position you are applying for.
NOTE: We would like to thank all candidates who apply, however, only those that are eligible to accept employment in Canada WITHOUT sponsorship will be considered.